Welcome!

I hope you enjoy this blog. It's a new outlet for me. My intent is to encourage, inspire and help us all think a little deeper about our journey in this life. I plan on keeping it real and sharing what's on my heart for the day. Enjoy and God bless you!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Go with the flow...

     Last Friday, I woke up at 6:17 am. I need to leave the house by 6:30 am to catch the bus and  be on time for class. Lately, I have been slacking because I have not wanted to go to class due to the fact that I am failing the class. I half woke up, threw on some clothes, threw on some mascara, deodorant and quickly ran-walked to the bus stop. I made it on time. The bus was crowded again and some people still had an extra seat to themselves. I sat next to a guy that I remembered from high school. I didn't know him well, I just remember seeing him with the special ed teachers. He really likes to talk, even when no one is listening. He has a lot of good thoughts, but usually the bus driver and the passengers don't want to engage in conversation so early in the morning.
     A few minutes after sitting down, a big older man got on the bus. He was carrying a large bag and a large briefcase. There was  nowhere for him to sit, he really needed two seats. I sat for a moment, hoping one of the men sitting in the front would offer their seat. Another minute goes by, I don't think anyone is getting up. I know I don't like standing in the front of the bus, but the big man currently standing seemed to be struggling so much with all his stuff  that it was impossible for him to even stand comfortably. I said, " Sir, do you want to sit down?" I think he wanted to say yes, but didn't verbally get it out. I saw in his eyes, the answer was a desperate yes!. I got up and told him he could sit. The guy from high school sitting next to me, also got up. The man had a seat. I looked around for an empty seat. There were a few, but they were taken up by peoples bags. I moved toward one woman who was sitting on the outside seat, with her bag occupying the other seat. I asked her if I could sit with her. She kindly replied, "yes," and scooted over.
     We chatted a little and the chatting grew into full conversation. After all we had at least 35 minutes left  on the ride together. This woman began to share about her life with me, her faith in Jesus, her love for poetry, the mountains.The pain of losing her mother a  few years back  to Alzheimer's disease. We talked about ways God had spoken to us and found we had a lot in common. We talked about school. Remember, I barely wanted to go to class, I was feeling like a failure, wanting to give up. Here is this woman, I think she said she was around 50yrs old. She is going to school, accomplishing her dreams, reaching her goals one day at a time. She admitted that in her past she had struggled with  substance abuse, men and just living a decent life. 
     She told me she had a strong faith, that Jesus changed her life, he brought her out of all the madness she was in. I was amazed by this woman's quiet boldness, her shameless credit to God for what he has done for her. Her willingness to admit that the current math class she is taking, she has already attempted to take two other times, only to fail the class both times.
     She had a gutsy-ness about her that  I really admired. I thought about all the things she was saying. I thought about how at age 34, I want to give up cause it's hard. She said in the past, she would just give up when things got hard, but not anymore, she has a vision now for who she is, who she wants to be. After hearing her story, I was encouraged. I had a new hope again.
    Our bus was running late, and despite my quick wake up and jog to the bus stop, I would still be late for class. However, it was all worth it. This woman usually didn't take this bus, but she did that day. On the bus, I asked her if I could blog about her, she said that was fine. We exchanged emails and got off the bus together. We gave each other a hug and said goodbye, hoping to talk and see each other soon.
     I love to hear about peoples lives. I enjoy listening to their stories. I am thankful the bus was full that day, that I gave up my seat. I am thankful for the unexpected blessing of conversation with a stranger. I was encouraged, and challenged that day on the bus. I believe I ended up exactly where I was supposed to sit on that bus that day.
     To the woman on the bus, if you read this. Thank you. Thank you for sharing your seat. Thank you for sharing your life with me. May God continue to bless, encourage and strengthen you in all things.
    

No comments: