Welcome!

I hope you enjoy this blog. It's a new outlet for me. My intent is to encourage, inspire and help us all think a little deeper about our journey in this life. I plan on keeping it real and sharing what's on my heart for the day. Enjoy and God bless you!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Just in the nick of time!



My youngest son is beautifully stubborn. Some say he's just strong willed. However, when we are in public and he is trying to run the show, he will scream at the top of his lungs until he gets what he wants. I used to just give in, when I couldn't handle it anymore( I know). I have been trying the last few days, to go head to head with him, wait it out, re-establish who's boss. Well, it took 2 hours yesterday before he finally did what I asked him to do, but I held my ground and he eventually obeyed.

It's one thing in the privacy of your own home...and a whole other ball game in public. We were in the grocery store today, needed to quickly pick up a few things. I put my lil guy in the cart, and all was well. I decided to get him a little treat from the bulk food area. He seemed compliant picked out what he wanted, the only problem was, he wanted his choice right then, I gave him one little jelly fruit, the problem was he wanted all of them. I didn't give them to him because they were sold by weight and if he ate them all the  cashier wouldn't be able to charge me.

He began the scream, super loud, standing up in the cart, did I say SUPER LOUD? well, I could not seem to get him to stop and I couldn't give in, we were in day three of establishing who was boss, and I needed to pay for them first. People were staring at me checking down the aisle. I moved to a different aisle trying to hide and get him to quiet down.

I finally took him out of the cart and he was still screaming wanting his treat. At this point, I just wanted to crawl under a rock and eat chocolate, but I'm working on not always trying to escape too. I was praying under my breath, kindly asking God for help, and for my son to stop.

A few minutes later he is still screaming, I feel stuck and at the end of my rope. I look up and this petite older woman comes down the aisle I'm trying to hide in. She comes up to me and let's me know that she can see my son is highly agitated and is inquiring if there is any way she can help. I have to admit, my guard was up big time, I was on the defensive, expecting her to judge my ability to control my son.

I asked her what she thought she could do to help( I was not being super friendly). She said, " I can pray for him!" I have to admit I was shocked by her response. I asked her if she was a Christian, she said that she was. I told her that I would actually really appreciate it, because I was feeling very overwhelmed at the moment. 

So there in the natural foods section of Fred Meyer the three of us stood. I took the moment and closed my eyes while still holding my son, and allowed her to pray for us. My son calmed down, I thanked her and we quickly paid and left the store.

I have never had anything like that happen to me. I needed that moment, as crazy as it was. I needed to see that God was with me, it's good to know he has people all around. We are supposed to be one big family right? It took a lot of boldness for that woman to approach us and to offer prayer. 

Thank you Lord for seeing me in my time of struggle,and extending your grace and peace through a stranger. Give me that same boldness and compassion to respond to those around  me, stranger or kin. Thank you Lord for your kindness towards me, please bless that woman who blessed me, I know you know where she is. I know you know her name, just as you know mine.

No comments: